Friday, December 26, 2008

Here's Giving You a Reason To Drink

The Today's Reason to Drink widget here on my blog says that today, December 26th, is Boxing Day. Last night I receive a text message invitation to a Boxing Day party. My first thought: I get to punch the living daylights out of someone as a way to celebrate! Sadly, I'm totally wrong about that.

Boxing Day is a public holiday observed in Australia, Canada, Hong Kong, New Zealand, and the UK. The day is also referred to as St. Stephen's Day or the Feast of St. Stephen, after the first Christian martyr. Boxing Day originated as a day for members of the social upper class to gift boxes full of food, fruit, clothing, or money to their servants and household personnel. In modern times, Boxing Day is celebrated by Commonwealth nations with large family gatherings, outdoor sporting events, and the ever-popular after-Christmas shopping sales.

I'm about to embark on my own Boxing Day celebration and simply take the advice of my Reason to Drink widget and grab a few beers...and perhaps shop a bit afterward as well.

Cheers!

No comments: