As we all know, it's not only holiday time, it is also the season of illness. As much as I've taken preventative measures throughout the year, I haven't been able to escape getting sick. I seem to have acquired a mild cold - my ears are plugged and my head is congested. Knowing that things could be much worse, and although I have also developed a bothersome cough, I am thankful for the absence of nasal secretions and overall body aches (knocking on wood).
Typically, I would be popping the nearest over-the-counter pills or using some medicinal ointment at the first sign of illness, but this time I didn't. What we know as the common cold is really our bodies' reaction to viruses that our system is attempting to expel. So if I'm coughing uncontrollably or my nose is dripping profusely, it's really my body productively attempting to rid the invaders. I've decided to allow my sickness to take its natural course and stick with good old fashioned eating right, drinking fluids, and rest, rest, rest. This regimen is rather difficult for me, since I am a person who is constantly on the go, but I'd prefer to take a more "holistic" approach and just deal with it. Besides, if my illness gets to an intolerable point, I always have shooting whiskey to fall back on - and I won't have to worry whether it will interfere with the effectiveness of so-called medicines that I would otherwise be taking.
No comments:
Post a Comment